Visa Information

This section includes some important information on visas. For the most accurate and up-to-date information on visas, go to the website of the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) at

Brief Information on the main visa types

Generally, there are three types of visa that students can apply for in order to come to Australia to study. The type of visa you need depends on the duration of your study at Australian Ideal College and your passport country. The three types of visa are Student Visa, Tourist Visa and Working Holiday Visa.

1. Student Visa

  • If you plan to study with us for more than 12 weeks, then you need to apply for a Student Visa.
  • To be eligible for a Student Visa, you must enrol for full-time study.
  • You must also pay compulsory medical insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover – OSHC).
  • Student Visa holders are allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight when their course is in session.
  • For the latest information on visas, please click on

2. Tourist Visa

  • If you plan to study for less than 3 months, then you can apply for a Tourist Visa.
  • Tourist Visas allow foreigners to visit Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives or friends or for other short-term non-work purposes.
  • For more information on Tourist Visas, go to the official website of the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) at

3. Working Holiday Visa (Visa subclass 417 and Visa subclass 462)

  • People aged between 18 and 30 from some specific arrangement countries can apply for a Working Holiday Visa if they wish to study with us for up to four months and stay in Australia for less than 12 months.
  • Working Holiday Visas are for people aged between 18 and 30 from arrangement countries to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment.
  • The arrangement countries for Visa subclass 417 are Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the UK.
  • Visa subclass 462 is open to applicants from Chile, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA to holiday and work in Australia.
  • For the latest information on visas, please go to on

Requirements for a Student Visa Application

  1. A Letter of Offer from Australian Ideal College (AIC)
  2. An Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) from AIC and CAAW* (if applicable)
  3. A medical check-up (required by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA))
  4. Proof of financial support (required by DHA)
  5. Satisfactory English language proficiency (eg IELTS etc)
  6. Proof of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) (required by DHA)

*Note: the CAAW is the Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation/Welfare for a student under 18 years of age

How to Apply for a Student Visa

If you intend to study in Australia:

  • You will need to apply for a Student Visa.
  • You must enrol for full-time study.
  • You must also pay compulsory medical insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover – OSHC)
  • Send your completed enrolment form to Australian Ideal College (AIC).
  • AIC will send you an invoice for fees.
  • Pay AIC the amount indicated on the invoice.
  • When AIC receives your payment, we will issue you an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)
  • An eCoE is necessary for student visa processing.

A copy of the eCoE will be transmitted via the internet to the embassy. A copy can be faxed/emailed to you to present to the embassy for completion of student visa processing.

Conditions for Student Visa Holders (IMPORTANT)

Student Visa conditions and regulations as determined by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) state that you must:

  • Study full-time while in Australia
  • Satisfy course requirements by:
    • maintaining a minimum of 80% of all scheduled class attendance and
    • achieving a record of satisfactory academic performance
  • Work no more than 40 hours a fortnight while your course is in session
  • Maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) during your entire stay in Australia
  • Inform DHA if you change your student status
  • Inform DHA if you withdraw from the course that you are enrolled in
  • Extend your student visa before it expires
  • Inform DHA and the College if you change your address and your emergency contact person’s contact details

The above information is for your reference only. You are advised to obtain up-to-date information on visa regulations, which is available on the DHA website:

For details on each of the Student Visa conditions, go to